Join the ThinkFun Team!
At ThinkFun Inc. we are dedicated to making learning fun. We strive to create games that spark curiosity, cultivate confidence, and nurture life-long learners.
Title: Product Designer
Reports to: Head of Product Design and Inventor Relations
Department: Product Development
ThinkFun’s Product Designer is responsible for product theme/concept design, and game play development for new products. Play testing, attending trade shows, meeting with inventors, interacting with consumers and gaining feedback from the sales team all fall under the list of responsibilities for this position and are essential to final development of a product. This individual is responsible for understanding existing trends and will be expected to work closely with the Product Development team to develop products that satisfy current market needs while maintaining brand integrity. The position requires a mix of creativity, analytical ability, project management skills, and knowledge of the Toy & Game industry.
- Product Design Lead
- Lead and oversee the development of product concepts as assigned. This will include the creation and development of concept art, production-ready design files, component costing, and margin analysis
- Present development updates to Thinkfun Directors as needed.
- Track the development and production of assigned products in conjunction with Department Head and Product Mangers from start to completion.
- Maintain the Product Design Department’s schedule and resources in conjunction with the Product Management team
- Game Concept Development
- Create concept storyboard and theme treatment for sourced product concepts, including themes, names, gameplay and overall shelf presence. This will include brainstorming concepts for potential new products as well as products in development, and gameplay and rule development.
- Product Sourcing & Inventor Relations
- As assigned, attend trade shows and hold meetings with inventors to review new product submissions. Play submissions in house to gauge interest and fit for the new product cycle. Track product submissions and return product submissions with relevant feedback to inventors in a timely matter. Maintain positive relations with inventors and seek new inventor relations through networking.
- Preparing and Updating Product Specification Sheets
- This includes Bills of Materials, pricing sheets quotes, etc. The process involves inputting data into Excel spreadsheets, and updating these files as game components or descriptions are altered during development.
- Manufacturer Communications
- Prepare images and notes for game component revisions. This will include taking notes during EP reviews and preparing images with notation explaining any necessary changes or revisions.
- As required, travel to communicate directly with our manufacturing partners.
- Cad File Development
- Create designs for game components, either completely from scratch or based on a given design direction or specific drawing.
- Update and adjust files to manufacturing specification.
- Play Testing
- Organize, run, and document play-testing sessions. These sessions will be both on- and off-sight and will involve coordinating these sessions with various contacts, including set-up and follow-up and documenting sessions results with pre- and post test repots.
- Model Making
- Oversee the creation of simple product/package models, typically from tag board or foam core.
- Challenge Testing
- Test game and puzzle challenges, including recording and organizing the results of each challenges, during the testing and review process.
- Assignment Management
- Track and complete all of the above tasks on time, as assigned, in according the development schedule for each product.
- Maintain the product development department scheduling through teamwork or other scheduling software
- Coordinate and Communicate with External Industrial Designers Product Designers, and Illustrators as Needed
- 3-5 years’ experience as a product designer, preferably in the Toy and Game industry.
- Working knowledge of Solidworks CAD modeling software.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, particularly Excel.
- Good hand-rendering skills and the ability to create clear, informative sketches quickly
- Must have high attention to detail.
- A working knowledge of mass-market manufacturing techniques and materials, especially injection-molded plastics.
- Good knowledge of the current game and toy market, love of great puzzles and games.
- Knowledge of drafting a plus.
- B.A. or B.S. in Industrial Design, Product Design, or similar.
- Willingness for some travel throughout the year
Please send your resume, cover letter, portfolio/site, and salary requirements to email@example.com
Do you have that special something extra to share with us? We’re always interested in hearing from new talent!
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.