Want to work for ThinkFun? We're always interested in hearing from new talent! Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Jr. Product Designer
Posted May 2015
Title: Jr. Product Designer
Reports to: Head of Product Design and Sourcing
Department: Product Development
ThinkFun, Inc., a mid-sized game and puzzle company based in Alexandria, VA, seeks full-time Jr. Product Designer. The candidate must have a working knowledge of Solidworks and a degree in Product Design or related field. The candidate must have 1-2 years of professional design experience, be detail-oriented, and work well with others. To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter outlining your interest in the position along with your salary requirements and your resume to Josh West, Head of Product Design
- Preparing and updating product specification sheets: This will include Bills of Materials, pricing sheets, quotes, etc. The process involves inputting data into Excel spreadsheets, and updating these files as game components or descriptions are altered during development.
- Manufacturer communications: Prepare images and notes for game component revisions. This will include taking notes during EP reviews, and preparing images with notation explaining any necessary changes or revisions.
- Game concept development: Assisting in the creation and developments of game concepts, including themes, names, and overall shelf presence. This will include brainstorming concepts for potential new products as well as products in development, and gameplay and rule development.
- CAD file development: Creating designs for game components, either completely from scratch or based on a given design direction or specific drawing. Also updating and adjusting files to manufacturing specification.
- Play testing: Assisting with, and occasionally running, play -testing sessions. These sessions will be both on and off site, and will involve coordinating these sessions with various contacts, including set-up and follow-up, and documenting session results with pre- and post- test reports.
- Model making: Creating simple product/package models, typically from tag board or foam core.
- Challenge testing: Testing game and puzzle challenges, including recording and organizing the results of each challenge, during the testing and review process.
- Assignment management:Tracking and completing all of the above tasks on time, as assigned, in accordance with the development schedule for each product.
- Working knowledge of Solidworks CAD modeling software.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, particularly Excel.
- Good hand -rendering skills, especially pencil and marker sketching.
- Must have high attention to detail.
- At least a basic knowledge of mass -market manufacturing techniques and materials, especially injection-molded plastics.
- Good knowledge of the current game and toy market, love of great puzzles and games.
- Knowledge of drafting a plus.
- B.A. or B.S. in Industrial Design, Product Design, or similar.
- Available to start full -time, in -house, within two weeks of receiving job offer.
Posted June 2015
Title: Administrative Assistant
Reports to: Executive Assistant
ThinkFun, Inc., a mid-sized game and puzzle company based in Alexandria, VA, seeks a full-time Administrative Assistant. Candidate must have previous office experience and be proficient using a PC computer platform. Candidates must have excellent organizational skills and the ability to work independently. Must have 1 to 2 years of office-related experience. To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter outlining your interest in the position with your salary requirements and your resume.
- Performs administrative and office support activities for multiple departments.
- Duties may include fielding telephone calls, receiving and directing visitors, accepting deliveries, meeting preparation, and filing.
- Maintains supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Support other departments in accessing production information. Be a knowledgeable resource for other ThinkFun departments regarding vendors; assist other departments in finding safety tests, certifications and other resources.
- Communicate with vendors via e-mail on a daily basis.
- Maintain product information in ThinkFun’s content management system.
- Maintain sticker inventory for international products.
- Review sample from production and report quality issues using the established process, communicate all issues found back to the vendor.
- Coordinate safety testing for products that are scheduled to be tested.
- Must have excellent attention to detail.
- Must be great at following directions and following existing processes.
- Professional and articulate communications (written and verbal).
- Good organizational skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Self-motivated with a positive “can do” attitude.
- Available full time in-house starting July 6th, 2015.
Please send your resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and two professional and one personal reference to firstname.lastname@example.org