Want to work for ThinkFun? We're always interested in hearing from new talent! Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Jr. Product Designer
Posted May 2015
Title: Jr. Product Designer
Reports to: Head of Product Design and Sourcing
Department: Product Development
ThinkFun, Inc., a mid-sized game and puzzle company based in Alexandria, VA, seeks full-time Jr. Product Designer. The candidate must have a working knowledge of Solidworks and a degree in Product Design or related field. The candidate must have 1-2 years of professional design experience, be detail-oriented, and work well with others. To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter outlining your interest in the position along with your salary requirements and your resume to Josh West, Head of Product Design
- Preparing and updating product specification sheets: This will include Bills of Materials, pricing sheets, quotes, etc. The process involves inputting data into Excel spreadsheets, and updating these files as game components or descriptions are altered during development.
- Manufacturer communications: Prepare images and notes for game component revisions. This will include taking notes during EP reviews, and preparing images with notation explaining any necessary changes or revisions.
- Game concept development: Assisting in the creation and developments of game concepts, including themes, names, and overall shelf presence. This will include brainstorming concepts for potential new products as well as products in development, and gameplay and rule development.
- CAD file development: Creating designs for game components, either completely from scratch or based on a given design direction or specific drawing. Also updating and adjusting files to manufacturing specification.
- Play testing: Assisting with, and occasionally running, play -testing sessions. These sessions will be both on and off site, and will involve coordinating these sessions with various contacts, including set-up and follow-up, and documenting session results with pre- and post- test reports.
- Model making: Creating simple product/package models, typically from tag board or foam core.
- Challenge testing: Testing game and puzzle challenges, including recording and organizing the results of each challenge, during the testing and review process.
- Assignment management:Tracking and completing all of the above tasks on time, as assigned, in accordance with the development schedule for each product.
- Working knowledge of Solidworks CAD modeling software.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, particularly Excel.
- Good hand -rendering skills, especially pencil and marker sketching.
- Must have high attention to detail.
- At least a basic knowledge of mass -market manufacturing techniques and materials, especially injection-molded plastics.
- Good knowledge of the current game and toy market, love of great puzzles and games.
- Knowledge of drafting a plus.
- B.A. or B.S. in Industrial Design, Product Design, or similar.
- Available to start full -time, in -house, within two weeks of receiving job offer.